The Nigerian Correctional Service on Friday said the N500m security grant from the Abdulsamad Rabiu initiative for Africa would be invested in technology to reduce the chances of further attacks on prisons.

Recalled on July 5, 2022, no fewer than 879 inmates, including 64 high-profile Boko Haram terrorists, fled the Kuje Medium Custodial Facility, Abuja, on July 5, 2022

After the jailbreak, the Senate President, Ahmad Lawan, expressed disappointment that there were no Closed-Circuit Television devices at the facility.

Speaking on the importance of technology, the spokesperson for the service, Abubakar Umar, who spoke to Saturday PUNCH said the prison facilities across the states would be touched noting that most of the facilities were old.

Related News

Umar also stated that technology would be deployed across the custodial centres to discourage any form of attack on the facilities.

He said, “In the fund granted, the prisons facilities will be touched through the upgrade of the structure and there will be improvement of rehabilitation programs of the inmates. Staff of the Service will undergo training from the fund.

“Last year, the Minister of Interior Rauf Aregbesola inaugurated monitoring room in the headquarters. Other facilities that have not enjoyed these technologies will enjoy upgrade of e-correction in their custodial centres because it will ease the issue of security in our facilities.

 “From the deployment of technology, we will be able to monitor every movement within the inner part of their custodial centres. The money will be invested in various areas of the prisons.”

All rights reserved. This material, and other digital content on this website, may not be reproduced, published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from PUNCH.

Contact: [email protected]

By Vision

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: