The decision of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex Harry and Meghan to pull away from Britain’s royal family has left many in shock.
The couple released a statement yesterday saying:
“We intend to step back as ‘senior’ members of the royal family and work to become financially independent while continuing to fully support Her Majesty the Queen … We now plan to balance our time between the United Kingdom and North America, continuing to honor our duty to the Queen, the Commonwealth, and our patronages.”
But Megxit, as it is now termed, wouldn’t be the first time the couple caused a stir.
HERE ARE 5 OTHER TIMES THE COUPLE STIRRED CONTROVERSY:
- Prince Harry’s decision to go beyond the shores of the United Kingdom to marry a divorcee and bi-racial American.
- The exclusion of Meghan’s dad from the wedding ceremony was considered by many as a discourtesy.
- Harry and Meghan moving to Windsor, separating his office from William’s and splitting from their highly successful charity, the Royal Foundation.
- The couple’s decision to hold an extravagant baby shower for their son Archie in New York and not in the United Kingdom.
- The secrecy over the birth of baby Archie. No bulletins on when or where the baby would be born, no traditional photograph and no mention of who was in charge of delivery.
But Buckingham Palace does not appear to be taking the decision of the Duke and Duchess kindly.
In a terse statement, Buckingham Palace said: ‘Discussions with the Duke and Duchess of Sussex are at an early stage. We understand their desire to take a different approach, but these are complicated issues that will take time to work through.’